Why is Early Learning important?
Simply put, a child’s early years lay the foundation for all that is to come. In recent years, researchers have learned that the human brain develops the vast majority of its neurons, and is at its most receptive to learning, between birth and three years of age. In fact, the intake of new information is critical to the formation of active neural pathways (Shonkoff & Phillips, 2000).
Learning + Play = Success
What do you want for your child’s future? Studies show that high-quality relationships between children and teachers are the highest indicators of student success and that a child’s oral language is the highest predictor of literacy success. At Southminster Child Care, teachers build strong relationships. Teachers read more, they have more conversations with children, children engage in rich experiences that spark their vocabulary. At Southminster Child Care, children learn more. They create. Collaborate. Build confidence. Come see us for yourself, and experience our warm, welcoming and nurturing environment.
- Equip caregivers to nurture the little ones in their care.
- Optimize key windows of opportunity for growth and development.
- Are designed with intention and purpose and organized around developmental learning domains.
- Feature Dr. Becky Bailey’s Conscious Discipline® strategies to enhance social and emotional development.
- Are organized around five developmental domains.
- Offer differentiated instruction options to meet the needs of all learners.
- Can be easily infused into daily routines, such as diaper changing, transitions, and outdoor play.
- Are designed with intention and purpose to move children forward in their development.
- The authorship team of FSPK brings a wealth of expertise in the field of early childhood classroom experience, social and emotional intelligence, brain development, literacy, second language learning, STEM practices and cultural sensitivity to the instruction and materials in the curriculum. Led by senior author, Dr. Pam Schiller, the curriculum integrates content and embeds current research based best practices through instructional strategies.
- Another innovation is the inclusion of Conscious Discipline strategies to support social and emotional intelligence and, in turn, cognitive performance. FSPK is the sole curriculum integrating this proven program into the daily instruction.
- Differentiated learning strategies and materials for a full range of learners include grouping strategies and scaffolding. Adaptations for Young Learners Teacher Guide, exclusive to FSPK, is an additional teacher guide targeting literacy, math, and integrated learning centers for learners not ready for the four year old program.
- Instruction in FSPK supports multicultural relevancy with materials and resources for languages other than Spanish. Dr. Alma Flor Ada, senior author, includes the importance of developing the home language, acquiring literacy naturally and focuses on cultural sensitivity throughout the curriculum.
- Equality of materials and instruction in English and Spanish is a distinctive feature of FSPK including language sensitive adaptations and cultural sensitivity. Sensitivity to letter knowledge and, particularly, phonological awareness is evident in the sequence of instruction.
- English Language Learner instruction in FSPK incorporates research in second language acquisition with classroom strategies for the Natural Approach, Total Physical Approach and Cooperative Learning. Materials and resources include pronunciation keys for five languages, full color photographs and strategies at point of use for whole group, small group and learning center activities.
- FSPK features distinct home/school/community connections linked to thematic units and the scope and sequence. Dr. Patricia Edwards, author and past IRA President, contributed research-based best practices on family involvement in the curriculum. Family Connections resources are available for print or online.
- Innovative approaches in FSPK incorporate current research based instruction for literacy included in the National Early Literacy Panel and Beyond, 2013. In addition, the instructional models in FSPK target strategies to ensure long term memory, alertness, and information processing based on brain science research. FSPK also incorporates STEM education, an approach to teaching and learning that integrates the content and skills of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
- FSPK provides innovative technology for students with Frog Street Pre-K Interactive Software which contains over 100 Spanish and English activities in phonological awareness, alphabet knowledge, written expression, listening comprehension, vocabulary development and math skills and concepts. Software activities align with weekly instruction for sustained practice of skills. Learning extends to the home with eBooks of all the literature titles in FSPK.
- Innovative technology for teachers offers online resources which include interactive lesson planning, teacher guides and eBooks. The FSPK Digital Online Library guides instruction and is easily accessible from computers, tablets, and smartphones.
3 Star Rating
We’re proud to be rated as a three-star facility, the highest grade possible in the Star Quality Program for licensed child care centers.